Coordinator Of Middle School Ministry
ST. JAMES PARISH – ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL
COORDINATOR OF MIDDLE SCHOOL MINISTRY
Position Type: Full Time 35-40 hours/week
Department: Evangelization (Reports to Director of Youth Ministry)
The Coordinator of Middle School Ministry develops and implements the process of evangelization and formation for middle and high school students, with an emphasis on Middle School Formation within the parish. This role will include overseeing and coordinating the preparation for the sacrament of confirmation. This is a dynamic position that St. James believes will play a crucial role in helping our parishioners to be disciples of Christ and make disciples of Christ.
- Coordinate EDGE Program for the 6th-8th grade including selection of materials, recruitment, and training of group leaders and confirmation leaders (Core Team)
- Coordinate curriculum calendar including social nights, retreats, mission trips, confirmation rehearsals, and Confirmation Mass
- Manage the Confirmation program according to Diocesan Guidelines, EDGE, and Purpose Models and Evangelization Team Vision and Strategy
- Work closely with the Evangelization Team to help facilitate an integrated, organized, and comprehensive Faith Formation Program.
- Recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates volunteer Faith Formation personnel through the recruitment of team catechists and volunteers, aiding in catechist goal-setting, and modeling best teaching practices.
- Within the guidelines set by the Diocesan Office of Child and Youth Protection, develop appropriate relationships with students with the focus of leading them closer to Christ through the example of discipleship.
- Attend activities off church property such as sporting events, plays, musicals, and award ceremonies, as able to do so.
- Working closely with the team’s administrative assistant, manages communication, including website, social media, and bulletin content with other staff members, parents, and EDGE.
- Reports to and works closely with the Director of Youth Ministry to continue the process of evangelization and formation for high school students participating in Life Teen Program activities.
- Maintains a presence at St. James School building relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- Manages annual budget for Middle School Ministry and Confirmation.
- Attend all pertinent Archdiocesan/Vicariate meetings and St. James Staff Meetings
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Major in theology, education, pastoral studies, or youth ministry preferred
- 3 – 5 years of experience in education, administration, management, evangelization, training and equipping
- Proven success in creating and implementing programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Comfortable working and collaborating within a team in a fast-paced office environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, web content management, and social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- Practicing Catholic who fully adheres to and models the Church’s teachings in faith and morals (Cf., “Code of Ethics for Catechetical Leaders,” National Certification Standards for Lay Ecclesial Ministers. 2003. p. xxv.)
- Registered with the Protecting God’s Children/Virtus program.
- Must be available for evening/weekend work.